Southern Illinois Total Solar Eclipse, April 8, 2024
At the time of this post, 2 months from the Total Solar Eclipse of 2024, we have less than half of our properties remaining. Last week we only have 30% of our properties remaining. People challenge the "supply and demand" of the premium prices set for remaining places to stay- whether that is a $500/night tent spot or hotel. As we near the Solar Eclipse date, we will see demand rise as supplies decrease, which only means one economical fact: prices will go up. We continue to keep a close eye on the fair market value and adjust accordingly. We realize that there will be haters. For the sake of keeping this discussion positive, I'd like to share some fun facts about the Solar Eclipse:
- Path of Totality: Southern Illinois falls within the path of totality, which is the area where the moon completely blocks the sun. This means that observers in this region will experience total darkness during the peak of the eclipse. This will happen in early afternoon- between 1 PM and 2:30 PM
- Duration of Totality: The duration of totality, where the sun is completely obscured by the moon, is expected to be around 3 minutes in Southern Illinois. This is relatively long for a total solar eclipse and allows observers ample time to witness and appreciate this rare phenomenon.
- Rare Occurrence: Total solar eclipses are relatively rare events in any given location. Southern Illinois is fortunate to experience not just 1 but 2 total solar eclipses. The last eclipse was in 2017 and the intersection of totality for both is right here in Makanda, IL.
- Path Across America: The 2024 total solar eclipse will create a path across the United States, starting from Mexico and extending northeastward through several states, including Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, New York, Vermont, and Maine. Southern Illinois is one of the prime locations along this path.
- Tourism and Events: Total solar eclipses often attract tourists and eclipse enthusiasts from around the world. Southern Illinois leaders now understand what to expect from the 2017 phenomenon with many events planned throughout the weekend leading up to the time of totality.
- Scientific Interest: Total solar eclipses provide scientists with unique opportunities to study the sun's corona, the solar atmosphere visible during totality. Researchers and astronomers often take advantage of these events to conduct experiments and observations that can enhance our understanding of the sun and its effects on Earth. We have astronomers from all over the US that have booked with us- our furthests guests coming from California.
- United States Significance: According to reachers, there are many total Solar Eclipses in the future. However, the next time the mainland United States will get to experience this remarkable phenomenon will be August 12, 2045; over 21 years from now. Will you have the opportunity to experience the next Solar Eclipse?
Southern Illinois Vacation Rentals Available for Solar Eclipse 2024